My belated Rant on the Chatelaine Magazine Article

I consider myself to be laid back when it comes to others' opinions, in fact I rather love a good debate.  I am not easily offended either and see differing opinions as a way to learn from others and potentially gain an alternative perspective (for example the H1N1 vaccination debate).   This being said, I was ABSOLUTELY APPALLED by a recent article in Chatelaine Magazine.   I can't remember the last time I had such a strong reaction to something in print.   I can't locate the article as it has been taken off their website but check out some of the reactions at the links below.    I have heard time and time again, parents complaining about what their kids can't bring for lunch and I understand that it is hard to realize how life threatening allergies can be if you have not experienced it.  I myself did not realize the full extent of the risks until my daughter had her anaphylactic reaction in June.   Media like this that dismisses the severity of food allergies is not ok.   People need to be informed that even minimal contact with an offensive food is like poison to that child.   My daughter ate ONE SMALL BITE of a food containing almonds and it nearly killed her.   I am happy to see that there has been a strong reaction to this article and I hope that Chatelaine has taken appropriate steps to inform their readers of the TRUE DANGERS and realities for children with food allergies!!




http://thepeanutpatrol.blogspot.com/2009/10/lame-ass-article-in-chatelaine.html

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=8416897875&topic=13620

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're awesome! Thanks for sharing your comment!